So what makes a 21st century teacher?

First up I must make a confession.  Most of what you are about to read is not my work, so I need to clarify that straight up.  In the interest of modelling good ‘blogging’ practice I want to make it clear that normally my posts are my thoughts on different ideas or issues, but this time it’s a sharing of someone else’s hard work.

I was alerted to an article in ‘Interface Magazine‘ from NZ, written by Andrew Churches who teaches at Kristin School in Auckland.  His blog and the original post can be found at his wiki, educational origami.

I am posting here part of his article about ‘what makes a 21st century teacher?’ for two reasons.  The first  because it struck a chord with me about teaching and learning generally and goes to demystifying the notion that a 21st century teacher has to be an ICT guru. Secondly, because I wanted others who may not know about to  find out about it.

Below is a a brief summary if Andrew’s article.

What are the characteristics we would expect to see in a successful 21st century educator?

Well, we know they are student-centric, holistic, and they’re teaching about how to learn as much as teaching about the subject area. We know, too, that they must be 21st century learners as well. But highly effective teachers in today’s classrooms are more than this – much more.

Eight habits of highly effective 21st century teachers:
1. Adapting
Harnessed as we are to an assessment-focused education model, the 21st century educator must be able to adapt the curriculum and the requirements to teach to the curriculum in imaginative ways.
2. Being visionary
Imagination is a crucial component of the educator of today and tomorrow.
3. Collaborating
Blogger, Wikispaces, Bebo, MSN, MySpace, Second life, Twitter, RSS – as an educator we must be able to leverage these collaborative tools to enhance and captivate our learners.
4. Taking risks
There’s so much to learn. How can you as an educator know all these things? You must take risks and sometimes surrender yourself to the students’ knowledge.
5. Learning
We expect our students to be life-long learners. Teachers, must continue to absorb experiences and knowledge, as well.
6. Communicating
To have anywhere, anytime learning, the teacher must be anywhere and anytime. The 21st century teacher is fluent in tools and technologies that enable communication and collaboration.
7. Modelling behaviour
There is an expectation that teachers will teach values, so we must model the behaviors that we expect from our students.
8. Leading
Whether they are a champion of the process of ICT integration, a quiet technology coach, the 21st century educator is a leader.

For the full article, (and I have no justice to it in this short snippet) go to Andrew’s wiki here – http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/21st+Century+Teacher

I think there is something in that for all of us.